nfs client performance

David daz at damnetwork.net
Mon Mar 5 14:36:45 MST 2007

I'm in need of some help.  I have a rhel4 server mounting an nfs share on
a NetApp filer that is having some serious performance issues.  Not being
overly familiar with troublshooting nfs, I'm at a wall.  Here are the
details:

Previous server:
Dell 2650, rhel3, kernel 2.4.something
- no issues

Current server:
Dell 2850, rhel4, kernel 2.6.9
- gig network, e1000 module
- rpciod cpu usage is very high.

here are my nfs mount options:
filer:/vol/exportvol /local/dir    nfs
tcp,noatime,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,nfsvers=3,hard,intr 0 0

I've been trying to read up on nfs and performance monitoring. Hell, I've
even ran a few benchmarks.  Here's the problem.  I don't know how to 1)
read the results and 2) interpret the results to find a solution.

Yes, been reading the nfs performance howto.  Yes, been googling my hiney
off.  Yes, still flumoxed.

Help?

Thanks,
David