increasing ulimit -n

Alex Dean alex at crackpot.org
Fri Mar 2 08:50:32 MST 2007

My MySQL server has run up against the OS's (RHEL 4) limit on maximum
number of open files.  This is causing queries to terminate badly, user
connections refused, and it's generally a bad situation.

I've been reading about how it's possible to raise this limit by setting
'ulimit -n' to some higher number.  It's currently at 1024.  The only
thing this machine does is MySQL, so there are no concerns about other
users, etc.  Before I make any changes, though, I was hoping someone
might help me figure out a reasonable way to increase this number.  This
is new territory, so I'm wanting to tread cautiously.

FYI : /proc/sys/fs/file-max (which I understand to be the limit on all
files opened by all processes) is 562523.  What other information is
pertinent?

thanks,
alex