security, encryption, and healthcare

Micah DesJardins micahdj at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 15:50:51 MST 2007

Josh,

This is the last I'll say about the matter.  I have no problem with
people investing in getting a degree.  Indeed I believe I said I
considered them to be valuable and important.  I never once said they
didn't count.  I implied that they didn't tell the whole story.  I
only mentioned my lack thereof as a matter of full disclosure.  I am
not interested in defending my choices or explaining my life to you.
If you measure the worth of an individual's technology skills *based
on their degree alone* then it is my personal belief that you may be
missing out on some genuine talent.  That is however your choice and
it's certainly your right to do so.  I simply wanted to bring another
perspective to the table.

Since you brought up Bill Gates, I figured we might as well mention
that he has no degree and, regardless of what you or I might think of
him, he is arguably the most successful technology entrepreneur of our
time and by all accounts a very intelligent and driven individual.
Steve Jobs doesn't have one either.  Neither does Larry Ellison, Paul
Allen, Steve Wozniak, Michael Dell, Thomas Edison, Nikola Tesla,
Michael Faraday, Alexander Graham Bell, Henry Ford, Philo T.
Farnsworth or Thomas Watson.  I wouldn't consider any of these people
to be lazy, or "an absolute idiot" to use your phrase.  Each of these
individuals has made what I consider to be substantial contributions
to technology and the advancement of science.  Perhaps you feel
differently.  Again, that is your perspective and I have one that
differs.

I am by no means saying that people should not pursue degrees or
education. I personally believe that education is one of the most
important aspects of success.  But a college degree does not
necessarily guarantee someone success and the lack thereof does not
guarantee someone's failure.

All the best.

Micah