Speakers and headphones?

John Schember j5483 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 1 06:47:18 MST 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 00:12 -0700, Alan Dayley wrote:
> When I plug in the headphones, the built-in speakers are not muted.
> (Huh?)  That is less than optimal.  I don't know if I should blame the
> hardware or some sort of driver issue.  Have any of you experienced
> such
> a thing?  If so, what did you do about it?
This could be either hardware or driver. Either the hardware itself does
not support a physical mute switch for turning off the speakers when the
headphones are plugged in. Or the driver does support a, for lack of a
better term, interrupt when the headphones are plugged in so that it can
mute the speakers itself. I've have two laptops that have been in this
situation. My solution was to turn the one into a server and the other I
set the mute hot key to master and press it when I plug in my
headphones.

John Schember