[ Re: UNIX- Grad-daddy of all modern operating systems?]

Mark Jarvis mark.jarvis at pvmail.maricopa.edu
Sat Jun 30 10:58:45 MST 2007

(repost using email address I signed up with)

In 1960 (+ or - a year) I took a programming class at ASU where we used
the LGP-30.  It had a 1000 (1024?) word drum and each word was 32 bits.
The drum was the main memory--there was no other storage.  It had
16--yes 16!--instructions with paper tape input and typewriter output
and it had a one or two inch oscilloscope where you could watch the
instructions execute.  Part of each instruction was the address of the
language background to appreciate the oddities of  the machine, but it
had some doozies.  Five years later I had graduated and was working at
Motorola Semiconductor on McDowell and transferred into the computer
section of the QC department.  We had a GE 205 computer with 8192 20 bit
words of memory.  If I remember correctly, a single word memory access
took 36 microseconds.  When sorting 30 row, 12 column table using the
Shell sort algorithm, the console lights made a several second long
pattern that was quite easy to spot.  BTW, the 205 was the entry level
knockoff of the GE215 box.  Since the 215 had a memory cycle time of 18
microseconds, GE added a bunch of circuit boards to steal every other
clock cycle to make the machine slower so they could lease it for less.
Go figure!

Yes, for lots of years I used decks of cards for both programs and
data.  If you had any sense, you sequenced your cards in col 73-80 so
that when (not if--when) the deck was dropped, a few passes through the
sorter would fix things--and you initially sequenced by 10s or 20s to
allow for later additions.

While I wouldn't take anything for the experiences of those years, I
wouldn't go back to them for anything either.

Mark Jarvis