ffmpeg on ?

KevinO kevin at kevino.org
Fri Jun 29 14:52:55 MST 2007

Vaughn Treude wrote:

Kevin,
It took me a while, but I finally got around to updating the sources for
urpmi.  The easyurpmi web site was easy to use, but I'm still having
trouble.

1. The first time, it assigned me servers in Pennsylvania and the Czech
Republic.  There was a problem somewhere and the addmedia command didn't
work at all.

You can choose whichever mirror from each pull-down list that you wish.

2. So I changed the main server from Pennsylvania to Wisconsin and tried
again. The addmedia commands worked, and I was able to do the
command-line install of ffmpeg.  But when I tried using ffmpeg, I was
still missing codecs.  So I fired up rpmdrake and tried to select the
entire "video" section.  It failed, saying it couldn't open any of the
RPM's.  (This shouldn't be a permission problem, because I'm running
rpmdrake as root!)

3. So I changed the PLF site from the Czech Republic to Taiwan, and
restarted rpmdrake.  Now it has a different problem.  When I try to
install the video applications, it gives a huge list of items that it
"can't be selected."  Huh?  I thought this was supposed to be automagical!

So, I think I may have chosen the wrong "Penguin Liberation Front"
server, but there are several.  How do I know which to try?

Thanks again,
Vaughn

 ftp://mirrors.usc.edu ...

Seems to be a good state-side mirror source for the non-plf sources.

 ftp://spirit.bentel.sk

Seemed to be a good source for the PLF sources.

Sometimes, with packages that are available in both Mandrake and PLF versions,
you can end up installing the wrong version if your PLF source is missing or the
plf mirror is not working. Once you get your mirrors sorted, you can fix the
situation with:

# urpme <packagename>

# urpmi <packagename>

This would remove what you have, and then install the best available. PLF
packages will get installed first.

There are command line switches to each of the urpm* commands, and methods to
find out the names of packages. I haven't even tried to use any of the GUI
rpmdrake like tools in many years, well before 10.0 came out anyway.

Examples:

[root at brenda root]# urpmq  codecs
The following packages contain codecs:
real-codecs
win32-codecs
xanim-codecs

[root at brenda root]# urpmq -i ffmpeg
Name        : ffmpeg
Version     : 0.4.9
Release     : 0.pre1.0.100.2plf
Group       : Video
Size        : 398019                       Architecture: i586
Source RPM  : ffmpeg-0.4.9-0.pre1.0.100.2plf.src.rpm   Build Host: virgo.nanardon
Packager    : Götz Waschk <goetz at zarb.org>
URL         : http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net
Summary     : Hyper fast MPEG1/MPEG4/H263/RV and AC3/MPEG audio encoder
Description :
ffmpeg is a hyper fast realtime audio/video encoder, a streaming  server
and a generic audio and video file converter.

It can grab from a standard Video4Linux video source and convert it into
several file formats based on DCT/motion compensation encoding. Sound is
compressed in MPEG audio layer 2 or using an AC3 compatible stream.
Name        : ffmpeg
Version     : 0.4.8
Release     : 6mdk
Group       : Video
Size        : 388699                       Architecture: i586
Summary     : Hyper fast MPEG1/MPEG4/H263/RV and AC3/MPEG audio encoder

Note: Mdk 10.0 is a very old distribution, at least in terms of doing any serious
video work. A lot of the video tools have gotten much better in the last few
years. If you are trying to transcode modern formats, or do any DVD authoring, I
would suggest going with Mandriva 2007.0.

HTH
- --
KevinO