Mail Servers and DIY

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Wed Jun 27 21:07:52 MST 2007

On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 11:18:31AM -0700, Nathan Aubrey wrote:

> I have been noticing more and more mail servers in the world will not accept
> messages from my mail server. My mail server only accepts messages from the
> local network, has a static IP, and yesterday I got the reverse dns setup.
>
> But is there something else that needs to be done so other mail servers will
> accept messages from me? Such as AOL? Juno? Some AT&T servers...
>
> Is there a place to register a legitimate mail server or something? Or am I
> left to contact all these places and inform them my mail server is legit?

You shouldn't need to register. You need to find out why your email
isn't going through by checking the logs, and if need be cranking up the
logging level. Or if you're getting bounce messages they often tell you
why.

--
Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD User Group  |  MetaBUG
dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://phxbug.org/      |  http://metabug.org/