Internet woes

Robert N. Eaton Motheaton28 at aol.com
Wed Jun 27 16:55:23 MST 2007

Mike Schwartz wrote:

 >     DX <ssjgolleta at gmail.com <mailto:ssjgolleta at gmail.com>> wrote:
 >
 >     I had a similar problem with ubuntu a while ago. It turned out
that it
 >     was because FF was using IPv6 when it attempted to connect. The way I
 >     solved it was by typing "about:config" on the FF address var and
looking
 >     for the IPv6 option and disabling it (type ipv on the filter and you
 >     will find it really fast).
 >
 >     Sorry DX, I'm not following you on this.  How/where do you access
this?

 >     FF (Firefox?) address var ???
 >
 >     I appreciate the help, even though I don't seem to be making headway.
 >
 >     Bob Eaton
 >

 >  > FF (Firefox?) address var ???
 >
 > he  probably means the Firefox address bar;
 > (b and v are near each other on a keyboard -- likely typo;
 >   and they also are near each other in some speech
 >   space of consonants - that a linguistic expert, or
 >   speech therapist, could comment on...)
 > The Firefox address bar is where you end up when
 >   you do a File / "Open Location" (or Ctrl-L) in FireFox.
 > --
No luck accessing the filter (as above)so I tried to disable ipv6
another way using a sledge hammer, rather than a rapier.

I believe ipv6 is controlled by
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/init.ipv6-global.

This file states that it is called up by hooks in /etc/rc.d/init.d/network

So, I entered /etc/rc.d/init.d directory, su'd to root and did:

touch xxnetwork

and

mv network xxnetwork  and said yes to the overwrite.

Then I rebooted and opened FireFox and tried to access some of my
favorite sites. Nothing worked. FF didn't even try.

So I went back and mv'd things back to the way they were.

FF kind of opened userfriendly.org, halfway opened slashdot and kbaq,
but choked entirely on google and bankofamerica.com.

I think we are kinda/maybe in the right general area on this, but I have
no clue as to where to go now.

It's particularly frustrating since in this installation of this distro
(Fedora 7)Firefox and Thunderbird (sent and received mail) worked
perfectly for hours, maintaining their ability over several brief
shutdowns, only to fail after a shutdown of several hours.

As Pogo used to say, "Rowrbazzle!)

Bob Eaton