FC6 - Weird behavior & now unstable

Bryan O'Neal BONeal at cornerstonehome.com
Mon Jun 25 15:23:33 MST 2007

Ok, so my box got weird on me today, first it lost network connection to anything not on its subnet, however I could ssh to other boxes on the subnet and move happily off the sub net from their.  I test the physical connection and the router logs an nothing seemed odd, so I restarted.  Everything worked.  Latter I tried to apply a couple of updates, including the latest kernel update.  Everything seemed to go well but when I reboot I get nasty issues with network services, it takes about a second and a half per interface to startup, including loopback (Previously it took about a ¼ second) snort fails, ntp times out or takes a very long time, httpd takes forever (~3 seconds) as does VNC, winbind, and a few others, Avahi fails completely, and after I get the blue screen for a while (~30 seconds) I am kicked to a run level 5 login

Fedora Core release 6 (Zod)

Kernel 2.6.20-1.2962 on i686

Fedora Login

I log in as root and it kicks me back up to my X log in after a while.  I log in and the system seems to run OK, but very slow.  I uninstalled snort, but uninstalling avahi uninstalls something's I require, like firefox and gnome.

If I do not login at the no X login it will eventually take me to my X login anyway.

I am not sure how to trouble shoot what is going on.

Suggestions?

Bryan O'Neal
Cornerstone Homes & Development, Inc.
4220 E. McDowell Rd Ste. #108