Internet woes

Robert N. Eaton Motheaton28 at aol.com
Mon Jun 25 13:38:18 MST 2007

chip33az at netscape.net wrote:

>> I don't know if this will help you, but with the machine running, open
>> a terminal window, go to root mode and cat
>> /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_window_scaling.  If it is set to 1, change it
>> to 0 with echo "0" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_window_scaling.  Close FF
>> and try again.

Tried this: no help.

>> The difference was night and day for me.
>>
>> There are a few work arounds, but if this works and you want a
>> permanent solution, add "net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling=0" to
>> /etc/sysctl.conf.

Used vim to add this: no help.

DX <ssjgolleta at gmail.com> wrote:

I had a similar problem with ubuntu a while ago. It turned out that it
was because FF was using IPv6 when it attempted to connect. The way I
solved it was by typing "about:config" on the FF address var and looking
for the IPv6 option and disabling it (type ipv on the filter and you
will find it really fast).

Sorry DX, I'm not following you on this.  How/where do you access this?

FF (Firefox?) address var ???

I appreciate the help, even though I don't seem to be making headway.

Bob Eaton