What happened while I was asleep?

Robert N. Eaton Motheaton28 at aol.com
Sun Jun 17 18:37:55 MST 2007

Over the past two or three months, I have had trouble with my computer.
At first it just acted flaky with the internet, then I had trouble
booting Linux, then WinXP wouldn't boot either.

It turned out that the boot sector of hda got trashed. Changed
harddrives, reloaded WinXP, tried to re-install Xandros (the distro I
had been using for the last couple of years) no luck; tried to install
Fedora Core 6 (which I had painstakingly downloaded, did all the file
checks, and burned to six CD's in WinXP) again no luck. It congratulated
me on a successful installation, and told me that it was creating a Grub
file, and that was the last I ever saw of it. When I re-booted we went
directly to WinXP, did not pass go and _really_ didn't collect two
hundred dollars.

Not to be discouraged, I installed a copy of Kubuntu.  It installed, but
I couldn't make it access the internet very well. I downloaded an
updated version of Kubuntu, installed it. Still problems with the net
and no access to my AOL email service.

A little discouraged, I said to heck with Kubuntu and bought a copy of
Fedora 7 from Cheap Bytes. It installed flawlessly, and even better,
allowed me to choose between Fedora 7 and WinXP.

HOWEVER, Fedora 7 acts like just like the two Kubuntus as far as the
internet access is concerned.  Firefox (the default browser) is
crippled. It willingly connects to www.userfriendly.org, but not to
www.google.com.

There are several default lists of web sites available in Firefox. It
could access _some_ RedHat, Fedora.org, and some on other drop down
lists, but _not all_. I could discern no pattern to its likes and
dislikes. In the past ten years, I have NEVER had this much trouble
connection to the internet, nor to my email account. Yes, I moved from
one apartment to another, and changed providers from cox.net to Qworst,
but Xandros handled the changes with aplomb.  It worked perfectly for
months until hda started gagging.

Now plenty discouraged. What the Hell happened to Linux while I was asleep?

Bob Eaton