Red Hat Enterprise Linux software sources?

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Fri Jun 15 10:26:29 MST 2007

On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 10:14:24AM -0700, Darrin Chandler wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 10:09:22AM -0700, Alan Dayley wrote:
> > I want to keep this system updated and install needed software in as
> > automated a fashion as possible.  Are there well maintained, no cost,
> > community repositories for RHEL that I can point to for installation of
> > software via yum or another such tool?
>
> I think you're confusing RHEL with Free Software. ;-P

Perhaps a more useful message is in order. RHEL is the commerical
product, and Fedora Core is the community product. If you bug RedHat
they're going to tell you that RHEL is based on FC, and that you can
easily get the sources online and that everything is totally cool with
GPL, etc., which it is.

But maintaining RHEL, you're going to find that you either pay, or you
can get your hands dirty under the hood, and perhaps break things and
have to fix them. Why on earth would RedHat want to make it easy for you
to circumvent their whole business model? Well, they won't. There's FC
if you don't want to pay.

I'm far from an expert on RHEL and FC, and perhaps someone out there
knows of a way to keep RHEL up to date easily without going through a
maintenance/support contract with RedHat. I'd be surprised if there is,
and even more surprised to find out that RedHat is a part of it.

--
Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD User Group  |  MetaBUG
dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://phxbug.org/      |  http://metabug.org/