Linux server with Windows server DNS?

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Wed Jun 13 23:46:11 MST 2007

The Windows automatic DNS resolution is handled by an integration between DNS and ActiveDirectory, when the machine logs into it's ActiveDirectory Machine account, it gives AD it's IP address, and AD maps that to the DNS record assigned to the machine account.  The Windows DNS provider then uses that information to answer DNS queries.
There are mechanisms to do dynamic DNS in Linux/Unix/Solaris too, and they work similarly.  The machine logs into it's "account" in NIS or LDAP and the DNS provider uses that information to answer DNS queries.
Note, the Linux Samba client allows Linux to participate in a Windows network, but Windows has nothing that will allow it to participate in a Linux network.  That's why getting the two systems to interface requires adding Linux to the Windows AD via Samba, and not the other way around.

==Joseph++