Linux server with Windows server DNS?

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Tue Jun 12 14:00:20 MST 2007

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007, Alan Dayley wrote:

> Suppose I have a network.  Suppose I have two main Windows Server 2003
> boxes on this network.  Among several services, one Windows server
> provides DHCP to connecting clients and the other provides DNS for the
> network.
>
> Now, suppose I place a Linux server on this same network to provide say
> wiki or subversion services.  I want to configure the Linux server such
> that:
>
> 1 - It has a fixed host name, like "linuxserver"
> 2 - It gets it's IP address and usual such settings via DHCP
> 3 - Clients can get to it's services by using it's host name
>
> I have #1 and #2 taken care of.  That was easy since they just worked.
> It is #3 that is not working.  I must be missing something somewhere to
> get it configured correctly.  I don't want to have to edit a "hosts"
> file on the Windows DNS server.  Other clients on the network are
> apparently in the DNS though they are all Windows clients so maybe it is
> a Windows protocol thing.
>
> What do I need to do to make #3 happen?

Configure the Windows servers DHCP service to match up the MAC hardware
address for that specific Linux system so it will also assign the desired
hostname. (The DHCP will always assign the same IP.) And put that hostname
in the Windows DNS also. (If you want a really dynamic IP, then you will
need to setup dynamic DNS for that too.)

> Linux server is Fedora Core 5, in case that matters.

Or use Linux as the DHCP server and we can provide more details :)

  Jeremy C. Reed