Linux server with Windows server DNS?

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Tue Jun 12 13:47:15 MST 2007

Google gives me too many hits that don't apply to my need.  I'm sure
someone here knows exactly how to do this.

Suppose I have a network.  Suppose I have two main Windows Server 2003
boxes on this network.  Among several services, one Windows server
provides DHCP to connecting clients and the other provides DNS for the
network.

Now, suppose I place a Linux server on this same network to provide say
wiki or subversion services.  I want to configure the Linux server such
that:

1 - It has a fixed host name, like "linuxserver"
2 - It gets it's IP address and usual such settings via DHCP
3 - Clients can get to it's services by using it's host name

I have #1 and #2 taken care of.  That was easy since they just worked.
It is #3 that is not working.  I must be missing something somewhere to
get it configured correctly.  I don't want to have to edit a "hosts"
file on the Windows DNS server.  Other clients on the network are
apparently in the DNS though they are all Windows clients so maybe it is
a Windows protocol thing.

What do I need to do to make #3 happen?

Linux server is Fedora Core 5, in case that matters.

Alan