root priv in Terminal (Ubuntu)

Michael Hoy mhoy4 at cox.net
Sun Jun 10 10:15:33 MST 2007

I lost all my old emails so I can't respond to my last one about the
lost drive space. Basically I just reinstalled windows and gave up on
dual boot.

Now I'm using virtual box to run Ubuntu. I've got it installed, but
having trouble gaining admin privileges  in  a terminal window. Perhaps
I'm not typing it right.

I'm trying: su
then typing the password, but it says Authentication Failure. I'm using
the same password I would use when prompted for it in graphical. Is
there some other command to gain root in terminal on Ubuntu?