network unreachable

Joseph Huber joe.huber at cox.net
Mon Jun 4 20:17:12 MST 2007

I seem to have some sort of network problem and was hoping someone could
help. Debian... my notes from setting the box up a little over 2 years ago
are rough (they're a lot rough... it took me the better part of 2 weeks to
set the box up). Anyway... everything was fine yesterday when I was doing a
little work on a website I maintain. Today I can't get to the router.
Doesn't seem to be hardware (it's a dual boot Debian and XP and the XP side
is okay).

ifconfig tells me the following (I don't have any way to get it off the box
so there may be some typos):

lo   Link encap : Local Loopback
      inet addr: 127.0.0.1 mask:255.0.0.0
      inet6 addr: ::1/28 Scopt:Host
      UP LOOKBACK RUNNING MTU:16438 Metric:1
      RX Packets:6130 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
      TX Packets:6130 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
                                               collisions:0 carrier:0
      RX bytes:979892 (948.0 KiB)
      TX bytes:970802 (948.0 KiB)

/ect/network/interfaces contains the following (minus the comments)

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Rather than opening my mouth and removing all doubt... I'll just state that
I'm not sure what I'm looking at or what I should be looking at to determine
what happened between turning it off yesterday and then booting the box this
evening. If anyone can help me out I'll be really grateful.

Joe