Sound on Ubuntu Feisty, ALSA, and gstreamer

Craig Brooksby craig.brooksby at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 10:53:28 MST 2007

Hi all:

My Feisty box wouldn't do ALSA; I finally deleted .asoundrc (left in
my home directory from Edgy) and bingo.  No more OSS.  Hello ALSA.

So it was a problem of an old conf file interfering with me.

I still have one maddening problem from the Feisty install:  Sound
Juicer won't play or rip CDs properly.  It plays them, and rips them,
but I am hearing what sounds like unconverted raw bitstream --
horrible chirping noise.   I am able to play previously-ripped files;
I just can't rip any new ones.

I wonder if this is a similar problem -- an old conf file?  Anyway, if
anyone has any ideas, please chime in.

Craig