Another odd Ubuntu/Firefox issue

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 23:36:59 MST 2007

Having resolved the firefox header/footer printing on my laptop, I went to
implement it on my desktop box and discovered a different issue.  The
desktop is older than the laptop.  The Ubuntu there was originally a version
before Firefox was installed out of the box and had a Firefox 1.5.x.x even
though the OS has been upgraded with each Ubuntu release and s also
currently running Ubuntu 7.04.

Seems the Ubuntu installer/upgrader detected this and rather than replacing
the FF 1.5, it also installed FF 2.0.x.x.  The FF 1.5 was originally
installed in /opt as one might expect for an add-on package.  FF 2.0 was
installed in /usr/lib as one might expect for a package that came as part of
the distro.  /usr/bin/ contains two links, "firefox" points to
/opt/firefox/firefox while firefox.ubuntu points to ../lib/firefox/firefox.
Interestingly enough, the laptop has /usr/bin/firefox pointing to
../lib/firefox/firefox.  Clearly, the installed/upgrader was the
intelligence to create the firefox.ubuntu link on the desktop.

OK, here is the issue: I want to get rid of the FF 1.5 and use the
2.0version only.  I realize I can simply change the /usr/bin/firefox
link to
use 2.0.  My question is how to properly delete 1.5 since there seems to be
no uninstall and the package manager is not aware of it (it was originally
installed using a Linux install link on the Mozilla site).  Just deleting
/opt/firefox/ may not be safe or complete..  Anyone know how to do this
cleanly?

and those who matter don't mind.  - Dr. Seuss