Thanks for the help and fstab?

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Mon Jul 30 08:15:37 MST 2007

Carlton Brooks <linux at carltonbrooks.net>:

>> softRAID doesn't mirror the bootloader.  dd the first 62 sectors of
>> sda to sdb, and then if sda falls over, you can set sdb as the first
>> boot device in the BIOS, and then you'll be able to boot from sdb.
> [Since I am] somewhat new, can you explain the "dd the first 62 sectors"?

"man dd" is a little tough for a n00b to digest, but take a look at how dd
is generally used:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/emptyfile bs=1M count=100

...InputFile is /dev/zero , OutputFile is /emptyfile, BlockSize is 1M, and
there are 100 blocks being read and written.  Executing the command above
will create a 100M /emptyfile containing nothing but 0x00s.  One disk sector
is 512 bytes, you want to copy 62 of them, the source is /dev/sda , and the
destination is /dev/sdb .  That should be enough info for you to put together
an appropriate dd command.

Yes, the syntax for dd is a bit weird.  This is because of Hysterical
Raisins,
AFAICT.

> To JT, can you please explain how to install [GRUB] on [the] second drive?

machine:~# grub
grub> root(hdX,Y)   # replace with appropriate numbers for your /boot
grub> setup(hd1)    # put stages 1 and 1.5 on the second BIOS disk
grub> quit          # done