1&1 - (was Mail Problems - Resolved - Explanation)

Tony E - Jaraeth jaraeth at phoenixwing.com
Sat Jul 28 01:42:05 MST 2007

Personally, I only truly trust my own systems, setup the way I prefer.
However, I want speed, reliability and availability, and I don't really
need a colo/dedicated server for it.  I have had 1&1 for nearly 7 years,
or should I say, since they opened their data center in the U.S. and
were giving out free accounts.

I took the free account, and used it for testing my colo'd boxen on my
then employers network.  One day, some years later, they said "For being
one of our first US customers, have a half price account, on us." I have
had a full Linux Developer package ever since, with SSH access, TB of
bandwidth, 100's of MySQL db's & 1000's of email addresses to use at my
leisure.  For a shared server package, I could never be happier.

I now run a family businesses website on it, a parents personal website
as well as my own domain on that site. 1&1 handles the email & dns, I
use my own Registrar.  I will admit that I don't particularly care for
the way their PHP is locked down, but I also have noted recently that
you can override most php variables per directory (not using .htaccess)
and they are a tad slow on incorporating new software.  One example is
the fact that they're just updating to MySQL 5.0 and they have a
disclaimer at the MySQL 4.0 / 5.0 selection screen calling MySQL 5.0
"unstable".  Yeah, no... I don't quite agree with that.

But, those are minor issues to the fact that my websites are not high
maintenance, do not use nor need "the latest & greatest", and have had a
roughly 99.9+% uptime.  The only downtime wasn't really downtime, but
more of a server crawling to a halt, which was usually remedied within
30 minutes.

I like 1&1, for shared hosting at the least.  I can't say how their
dedicated server packages & support go, but it does sadden me to think
they may not be as good on a higher level when they work fine for me now.

Just my two pence...

~ Tony E