1&1 - (was Mail Problems - Resolved - Explanation)

JD Austin jd at twingeckos.com
Fri Jul 27 14:31:27 MST 2007

Darin Wayrynen wrote:
>> I have made some progress with my registrar and the company that maintains the
>> domains for that registrar. Supposedly, in the next few hours I will receieve
>> the authorization code and the domain will be unlocked...
>>
>> 1&1 here I come!
>>
>> I apologize, I don't mean to be a 1&1 fan boy, but when you call tech support,
>> someone answers. And while I really really really like it when they speak
>> english, at this point I'm willing to speak to ANYONE!
>>

> It's nearly impossible for me to let positive remarks about 1&1 stand
> without sharing our sob story.
>
> To summarize, 1&1 sucks.  Period.
>
> We (Deru) lease servers outside of our network from other providers -
> we use the servers to probe our network and data centers to let us
> know if we are having external issues that we need to address that
> internal probing would not or could not notify us about.
>
> We had a server from 1&1 for 3 years or so.  About 5 months ago the
> server failed - we used their online tools to reboot the sever and
> restart the server from scratch, to no avail.  We opened a trouble
> ticket via email and called them to report the issue.
>
> It took them 7 days (days!) to repair whatever it was that failed.
>
> Additionally, they would not credit us for the time the service was
> down.
>
> We just can't understand how anyone would entrust their business to
> 1&1.
>
> :-(
>
> Darin

I'd second about their service.. they're horrible.
I make sure that I NEVER need their tech support.
I did have one instance where my plesk server key expired (plesk 7) and
they took too long to provide a new one.
I'll be moving my server from them as soon as I can afford to :)

--
JD Austin
Twin Geckos Technology Services LLC
email: jd at twingeckos.com