BIND 9 Exploit

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Thu Jul 26 14:46:08 MST 2007

On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 11:32:09PM -0700, Dan Lund wrote:
> Eh, there's just less of a market visibility for OpenBSD, so it's not aimed at.
> It's merely luck of the draw in this case, however.

As a follow up, Theo talks about the history of this in the comment
section of http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20070725193920,
which I'll quote below. Important points to consider, as I see them:
This isn't a Linux vs. BSD issue. The ISC is it's own thing, apart from
Linux or BSD. Neither Linux nor BSD is the whole of FLOSS. FLOSS people
should be aware of other FLOSS people, share ideas and code, and learn
from each other. There's a real danger in being an isolationist here, as
the bind 9 exploit shows.

Actually, we found the original problem with SNI (Secure Networks) and
CORE (of Argentina) in 1997, and we fixed it at the same time in our
version of the code, which was BIND 4 at the time. This is the problem
reported and fixed in http://www.openbsd.org/advisories/res_random.txt

Following that discovery and repair, the ISC people developing BIND 8
and BIND 9 went and developed their own LFSR-based solution to solve the
same problem. Instead of using our cryptographically better solution,
they went with their own solution because it put less pressure on the
(non-existant) random number subsystems that current operating systems
had. (They chose to use what systems had for RNG subsystems, rather than
joining other projects at pressuring operating systems of the time to
get onto the strong RNG bandwagon sooner).

At the time we told them that we felt their solution was not as secure.
We explained in detail why we thought our solution was better. They did
not listen. We had gone through great efforts with the CORE guys (who
did the math side of our non-repeating random number generator) to make
sure that attacks of that kind would not be feasable. Remember that
before these changes were basically id++.

Before our posting, there was no solution to the id++ problem. After our
solution, ISC went and independently developed an inferior solution
rather than our solution. When we switched to BIND 9, we chose to stick
with our own solution rather than use the inferior ISC developed
mechanism. Glad we did so.

--
Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD User Group  |  MetaBUG
dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://phxbug.org/      |  http://metabug.org/