What fork-bombed?

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Wed Jul 25 23:42:03 MST 2007

I couldn't say for certain without more information, but it looks like you had an update to Mono, and it was trying to (JIT)recompile all of the assemblies it knows about (which would include all of the aspx pages).
.Net automatically recompiles all assemblies on an update, and Mono can sometimes do the same, especially if the update triggers it.
Since it needs a couple file handles for each assembly, it can very quickly eat a lot of file handles on Linux (Windows cheats by having special kernel support for .NET and doesn't have the same problems).
There are, IIRC some parameters in Mono to limit the number of simultaneous IL compilers, but these would probably not be safe on a FC4 install.

==Joseph++