software RAID 1 w/3 Drives

Harold Michels hmichels01 at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 24 00:03:49 MST 2007

The question is, on a three drive software RAID set up will the third
drive be a hot spare, or will it be a mirror.

On the web pages mentioned earlier in this thread, on HOW-TO 4 or 5 I
think, reference indicate that the RAID setups are software
configurable. The drives can be set up with a hot spare, or with all of
the drives except the first one as duplicate mirror drives. This is all
under RAID 1.

The matter is written with some ambiguity on the first page, but is
spelled out later.

I am puzzled as to what benefit would be derived from having an extra
drive hot and spinning all the time wearing out. If you have a failure
wouldn't you be better off adding a new in at that time and rebuilding
the data from there?

Harold