OT: LUGs dying out

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Mon Jul 23 13:17:05 MST 2007

On Monday 23 July 2007 15:28, after a long battle with technology, Shawn
Badger wrote:
> Based on what the article was saying it looks like PLUG is doing very
> well and has stuck to what works. Most of the LUGs they talked to
> have become more of a [Stammtisch?] type meeting and left it at
> that. I personally like the presentations that are given at the
> meetings.

Presentations are good.  You just have to find someone to give them.
Not everybody can gin up a talk that will interest over 50% of the
users, even given a week or 2 to prepare.  Presentations were held
at ... about 1/3 of the GLLUG meetings.  Then again, Lansing's a lot
smaller than Phoenix, and there were only about 8-15 people at each
meeting.

Attendance figures for GLLUG may have been boosted by the pizza fund
that paid for cheap pizza at most meetings.  And the summer "Brats,
Beer, and BBQ" meetings held at people's houses or at the public parks
(minus the beer).

> They don't always pertain to something I am interested in,
> but I have learned about alot of applications that I otherwise didn't
> know about or how do something in that app.

Yep.  Usually, one individual user only knows about 60% or less of the
features of an app.  For emacs, it's more like 30% [-:   And the
subsets don't overlap *that* much beyond the basics.  So you can often
learn things from other users.  (Like they say, every different user of
a beta product discovers a different set of bugs.)

--
...a 12 kV pulse capacitor a buddy of mine has.  Charging it to 4,000
V is enough to vaporize a small peach.  The air smells of a rather