software RAID 1 w/3 Drives

Shawn Badger badger.shawn at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 21:03:51 MST 2007

The 3 drives as a Raid is probably set up to have on as a hot spare. A four
drive Raid 1 is not really a Raid 1 it is either a Raid 01 or more likely a
Raid 10. In a Raid 01 you stripe a pair of drives and then mirror the
striped drives. The more common configuration is to create two mirror sets
and then stripe them. This gives you fault tolerance with high though put.