Dyndns (and knockd)

Jon M. Hanson jon at the-hansons-az.net
Fri Jul 20 10:58:24 MST 2007

On Friday 20 July 2007 10:53, alex at crackpot.org wrote:
> >> When I had Qwest's VDSL service in Gilbert, Arizona incoming port 80 was
> >> definitely blocked.
> >
> > That's interesting. I have Qwest's VDSL in Chandler. Port 80 is open.
>
> With Qwest DSL, you have a choice of ISPs.  Any blocks are probably
> the work of the ISP, not Qwest as DSL provider.
>
> I used Qwest DSL with Convergent Internet in Tempe as my ISP.  I had a
> static IP and ran several 'toy' servers out of my house for several
> years with no issues.  Great customer service and linux-friendly.

With Qwest's VDSL service there is no choice of ISPs. VDSL and DSL are
completely different. They are even handled by different departments within
Qwest. VDSL is Qwest's fiber-to-the-neighborhood service that provides
television (not the DirectTV stuff they resell) and an Internet connection.
If you can get VDSL you are not eligible for DSL service because DSL isn't
compatible with fiber (or so I've been told).

--
Jon M. Hanson (N7ZVJ)
Homepage: http://the-hansons-az.net/
Jabber IM: jon at the-hansons-az.net