Open Source Calendar Application

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss at granroth.org
Wed Jul 18 19:25:03 MST 2007

Gilbert T. Gutierrez, Jr. wrote:
> I need a calendar that all my employees can put their service calls and
> vacation requests in.  So that we know where anyone person is scheduled to
> be.  A who's in and out application.

Hmm... Zimbra might be overkill but it would definitely fit the bill.

http://www.zimbra.com

Pros:
o Fantastic web client for email, addressbook, calendar
o Open Source version available
o Uses standards all around

Cons:
o Can be a bit tricky to setup
o Pretty much requires its own server since it takes over so many services

I have zimbra installed in a VMWare image and couldn't be happier.  My
calendars are stored on WebDAV and accessible via the web client,
Sunbird, Thunderbird Lightning, iCal (read-only), and KOrganizer.  I
haven't tried to connect to it via MS Outlook but according to the docs
I've read, it should work.

Kurt