Cable Modem / Router / Wireless

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss at granroth.org
Mon Jul 16 13:39:13 MST 2007

On Monday 16 July 2007, Jim wrote:
> Ok, I think I am ready to go with Cox cable.
>
> I am looking for opinions of the cable modem provided by Cox and for
> suitable alternatives that can also act as a router / wireless access
> point.

The cable modem provided by Cox is actually pretty decent.  I believe they
sell some Motorola box.  I use a D-Link one myself but there's no particular
reason for it over the Motorola one.

I use a Linksys WRT54G as my router/WAP.  The WRT is doubly sweet because it
runs Linux (certain versions of it, at least).  I uploaded the DD-WRT
firmware onto mine and now use it as a DNS server as well.  Plus, I boosted
the signal a bit and can easily reach all corners of my house now.  Highly
recommended!

Kurt