tor and privacy

Technomage-hawke technomage.hawke at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 22:41:09 MST 2007

On Sunday 15 July 2007 21:55, David Bendit wrote:

> I used to run a Tor exit node. I'm glad I stopped. I was banned from
> editing on Wikipedia (took months to get resolved. I had to be
> unbanned by a server admin at Wikipedia headquarters) and commenting
> on Slashdot, and I was disallowed from using DNSTools. Any service
> that bans "open proxies" bans tor exit nodes, no matter what ports
> they allow to be tunneled through (IRC servers are especially
> vicious). Plus, you have the trouble of explaining strange activity
> to your ISP (I never had to, thankfully). Really, it's more trouble
> than it's worth.
>
> On the other hand, I got a free, green shirt for it. So it's not all
> bad.
>
> - -David
David,
that is not a problem with tor specifically, it is a problem with the various
policies of the 'agencies' involved.

also, it is easy to set certain sites in your browser to NOT use tor/privoxy
(I know, I do so here and it works without a hitch).

as for irc, getting a shell (with ssh) from silenceisdefeat.org is easy and
costs $1.00 USD *FOR LIFE* and all that is needed to apply is a paypal
account.

I still don't see any problems (and I have been using tor on 2 IP's here for
over a year). Privoxy, OTOH, is worth far more than its weight in gold.

anyway, thats my take on it.