OpenMoko Neo1973 ready for purchase!

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Tue Jul 10 07:39:11 MST 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-09 at 18:30 -0700, Bryan O'Neal wrote:
> If I am looking at it correctly, I could drop just about any app, like
> OpenOffice or SuperTux or XMMS on this and have it run, albeit slowly,
> but it would run rite?

Well, in theory yes.  But, in practice you probably want something that
a developer has spent a little bit of time on.  The real difference
comes with different screen sizes.  What works with a mouse and keyboard
often doesn't with a stylus or a thumb.  Also, there are the RAM
limitations, but that's usually less of an issue now that the devices
have a lot more RAM.

I think for some good examples of this you should browse the Maemo
website:

http://www.maemo.org/

That is the debian based distribution that is used on the 770's and
800's by Nokia.  You'll notice that they've also implemented the
"Hildon" widget set which are GTK+ widgets designed for small screen
devices.

So, in a nutshell: yes, but you probably won't like what you end up
with.  It should be relatively easy for developers to move their apps
over though.

		--Ted