Sr Tools Engineer position (shortage of programmers)

eculbert eculbert at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 4 16:17:09 MST 2007

Darrin and others.

I, along time ago, interviewed for a 'must have
experience' position. In this case it was 5 years on a
particular new technology.

I got an interview!! In five minutes the personal rep
KNEW I knew nothing about it. Then I pulled out data
that the DESIGN hadn't been concieved of but 3 years
ago and was just starting to hit manufacturers in the
last year!! Must have a min of 5 years!! BS.

Just my one experience with idiots in hiring.

Ed.

--- Darrin Chandler <dwchandler at stilyagin.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 03, 2007 at 03:18:34PM -0700, keith
> smith wrote:
> > This is not totally inline with this post however
> I have to ask.
> >
> > Does it seem there maybe a shortage of
> programmers.  In conversations with several
> prospective client this last two weeks I got the
> distinct impression either everyone is raising their
> rates or there is a shortage.  Raising rates would
> also be and indicator as well.
> >
> > Also, several of the freelancers I know are
> stating they are overwhelmed with work and requests
> for work.
> >
> > Could it be?  finally?
>
> Not quite. As a professional developer with 20+
> years experience, I feel
> fairly confident in saying that. Job offers often
> ask X many yrs
> experience in one area, and Y many years experience
> in that area, and Z
> many years experience in another. There are probably
> 5 people in the
> world who fit that, one of whom just left the
> company. The part they are
> leaving out is that you have to be named Bob Wright,
> because that's the
> name of the guy who's shoes they're trying to fill.
> In addition, most
> employers absolutely *hate* the process of hiring
> people. All the
> unqualified applicants, then the interviews, and
> despite everything they
> end up hiring someone who can't perform as well as
> they'd hoped or
> needed. There are other reasons, too, why employers
> have a hard time
> finding good employees.
>
> Some companies throw their hands in the air and
> outsource their whole IT
> department, including significant development
> functions. Some domestic,
> some foreign.
>
> But make no mistake, it's all about a lack of
> finding matches between
> employers and employees rather than the lack of
> either. Employers suck
> at hiring the best employees, and most developers
> (myself included) suck
> at finding the best employers.
>
> So that's my $0.02. ;-)
>
> --
> Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD User Group
>  |  MetaBUG
> dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://phxbug.org/
>  |  http://metabug.org/
> http://www.stilyagin.com/  |  Daemons in the Desert
>  |  Global BUG Federation

Hurry up November, already tired of the heat!