1776

Mike Schwartz mike.l.schwartz at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 13:14:23 MST 2007

On 7/4/07, Gerald Thurman <nanofoo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello...
>
> I was writing some stuff about the number 1776 and came across the
> following quote
> from Stallman's "The GNU GPL and the American Way" essay: "The Free
> Software Movement
> was founded in 1984, but its inspiration comes from the ideals of 1776:
> freedom, community,
> and voluntary cooperation. This is what leads to free enterprise, to free
> speech, and to free software."

(my 0.02:  this is an excellent selection, and some good
  reading material for today's world... I was almost tempted
  to "cross post" this to rec.arts.books on Usenet...)
In case anyone [has some "free" time today, and]
wants to read the whole essay, it is at:
 http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/gpl-american-way.html
(maybe this is overkill, since that comes up as the first hit on a
 Google search for the title;  but)
I just thought it would be nice - and
 convenient - to provide the link here.
--