corrupted gzip file

Jason Hayes jason at jasonhayes.org
Wed Jul 4 09:58:09 MST 2007

On Wednesday 04 July 2007 9:26:14 am Lynn David Newton wrote:

> I gues Ark is some sort of KDE GUI wrapper for gzip?

Yes it is.

> Avoid that if you can. If that's an option it means you
> are willing to accept loss of data as a solution. How
> important is the DB to you?

Very. And sending the question here was the only first step. I needed to have
the database up and running in some form because it is used on a live site.
Thankfully today is a holiday, so I had a bit of a reprieve.

Happy Independence Day to everyone BTW!!!!

I was going to go back to a previous backup, but was then going to have to
make up for lost data.

I had to have something "right now," but if I could keep bashing away at the
more recent back up, I would.

> In any case, if something
> is actually corrupted, you'll want to know what and
> why. gzip files don't just suddenly become corrupt all
> by themselves. It's more likely you're doing something
> wrong but just don't know it.
>
> Have you tried using gzip from the command line? What
> does this tell you?
>
>   gunzip mydbarchivename.gz

Thanks for the reminder. That simple fix got lost in the immediate pucker
factor of having to fight with the backup.

I did that and it unpacked it and it said

gzip: 070307-localhost.sql.gz: decompression OK, trailing garbage ignored

<<snipped>>

So now I need to look into the "trailing garbage" issue to see what that was.

Thanks!

--
Jason Hayes
E-mail: jason at jasonhayes.org