Debian Etch ssh X forwarding not working.

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Wed Jan 31 12:25:25 MST 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-31 at 12:07 -0500, Tom Ward wrote:
> I can't get X forwarding to work under ssh.  I've got it enabled in /etc/ssh/sshd.conf, but it will not work.
>
> PasswordAuthentication no
>
> X11Forwarding yes
> X11DisplayOffset 10
> PrintMotd no
> PrintLastLog yes
> TCPKeepAlive yes
>
> I was looking at my envirionment and found a bunch of "stuff" that I've never seen before with Linux.  Is this something particular to Debian?
>
> The ssh section has
> _ssh ()
> {
>     local cur prev;
>     local -a config;
>     COMPREPLY=();
>     cur=${COMP_WORDS[COMP_CWORD]};
>     prev=${COMP_WORDS[COMP_CWORD-1]};
>     case "$prev" in
>         -*c)
>             COMPREPLY=($( compgen -W 'blowfish 3des 3des-cbc blowfish-cbc \
>                            arcfour cast128-cbc' -- $cur ))
>         ;;
>         -*i)
>             _filedir
>         ;;
>         -*l)
>             COMPREPLY=($( compgen -u -- $cur ))
>         ;;
>         *)
>             _known_hosts -a;
>             [ $COMP_CWORD -eq 1 ] || COMPREPLY=(${COMPREPLY[@]} $( compgen -c -- $cur ))
>         ;;
>     esac;
>     return 0
> }
>
> There are bunch (154) of them:
>  grep "^_" set.out
> _=
> _a2dismod ()
> _a2dissite ()
> _a2enmod ()
> _a2ensite ()
> _alias ()
> _apache2_modsites ()
> _apt_cache ()
> _apt_get ()
> _aptitude ()
> _args ()
> _available_interfaces ()
> _bzip2 ()
> _cd ()
> _chgrp ()
> _chown ()
> _chsh ()
> _command ()
> _comp_dpkg_hold_packages ()
> _comp_dpkg_installed_packages ()
> _complete ()
> _configure_func ()
> _configured_interfaces ()
> _vgscan ()
> _vgsplit ()
> _volumegroups ()
>
> The system was initally set up without X and I think somewhere  there may be some script that's preventing X forwarding with ssh.
----
I think that the system that you are using is the one that you are using
locally and not the server and thus, you should be editing ssh.conf and
not sshd.conf

Also, you might find it easier to create the connection like this....

ssh -XC username at hostname
or
ssh -YC username at hostname

Craig