Debian Etch ssh X forwarding not working.

Tom Ward tward800 at cox.net
Wed Jan 31 10:07:58 MST 2007

I can't get X forwarding to work under ssh.  I've got it enabled in /etc/ssh/sshd.conf, but it will not work.

PasswordAuthentication no

X11Forwarding yes
X11DisplayOffset 10
PrintMotd no
PrintLastLog yes
TCPKeepAlive yes

I was looking at my envirionment and found a bunch of "stuff" that I've never seen before with Linux.  Is this something particular to Debian?

The ssh section has
_ssh ()
{
    local cur prev;
    local -a config;
    COMPREPLY=();
    cur=${COMP_WORDS[COMP_CWORD]};
    prev=${COMP_WORDS[COMP_CWORD-1]};
    case "$prev" in
        -*c)
            COMPREPLY=($( compgen -W 'blowfish 3des 3des-cbc blowfish-cbc \
                           arcfour cast128-cbc' -- $cur ))
        ;;
        -*i)
            _filedir
        ;;
        -*l)
            COMPREPLY=($( compgen -u -- $cur ))
        ;;
        *)
            _known_hosts -a;
            [ $COMP_CWORD -eq 1 ] || COMPREPLY=(${COMPREPLY[@]} $( compgen -c -- $cur ))
        ;;
    esac;
    return 0
}

There are bunch (154) of them:
 grep "^_" set.out
_=
_a2dismod ()
_a2dissite ()
_a2enmod ()
_a2ensite ()
_alias ()
_apache2_modsites ()
_apt_cache ()
_apt_get ()
_aptitude ()
_args ()
_available_interfaces ()
_bzip2 ()
_cd ()
_chgrp ()
_chown ()
_chsh ()
_command ()
_comp_dpkg_hold_packages ()
_comp_dpkg_installed_packages ()
_complete ()
_configure_func ()
_configured_interfaces ()
_vgscan ()
_vgsplit ()
_volumegroups ()

The system was initally set up without X and I think somewhere  there may be some script that's preventing X forwarding with ssh.

TIA,
Tom