Sun Ultra 10

Tom Ward tward800 at cox.net
Sat Jan 27 09:33:07 MST 2007

You will need a null modem cable.  If you're going to run many headless
systems you might consider making your own using head shells, ribbon
cable and RJ-45 connectors.  There's information on that at
http://yost.com/computers/RJ45-serial/index.html.  If you're using more
that two it's a lot easier to plug/unplug the RJ-45 connectors.  It's
more work up front, but pays off in the long run.

Until now I've used TeraTerm for console software under Windows.
http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002416/teraterm.html
But this morning I see a new version of PuTTY is out that has serial
support.  I'll be switching to that and finally letting go of TeraTerm.
I don't recommend HyperTerm.  I've seen some systems (HP PA-RISC) that
just won't work correctly with it.  Minicom works great under Linux for
console access.

The Ultra 5 and 10 are sort of like PC's with a SPARC CPU grafted in.
They use IDE disks.  You may be limited on how large a disk you can use
for the boot disk.

You can run up to Solaris 10 on it or Linux for Sparc.  You may find
some info at Sunsolve, http://sunsolve.sun.com/, for the Ultra 10, but
these days you won't get too far without a support contract.

Sun made several combo cards.  Combining network and SCSI.  They're
called swift cards.  So you've got SCSI and IDE and two NICs.  You can
learn a lot on that box.  Have fun with it.

Regards,
Tom