Wireless VPN from WRT54GL?

Scott spbz at cox.net
Fri Jan 26 17:46:28 MST 2007

I just started following this thread, and find it highly fascinating.
It's definately possible to use OpenVPN in a wireless environment to
truely secure the connections.  As for CPU overhead, YGWYPF, since the
security trade-off makes it worth it.  Of course, YMMV.  I've only done
such a thing using a Belkin wireless router.  It went like this:

<internet>
<firewall>
<switch>
<server running OpenVPN>
<wireless router>
<clients>

This works out very well, and I'm not entirely sure how SSL is less
secure than IPsec.  From my experience and from what's out there, SSL is
actually the victor over SSL in this situation.  The server itself can
simply masquerade any traffic out through the firewall, so the wireless
clients would remain on their own secure link and still be able to talk
to the outside world.  That introduces its own challenges, so if you
know what you're doing with the firewall, then you're pretty much set.
And since there exists OpenVPN software for Windows
(http://openvpn.net/INSTALL-win32.html) and OSX
(http://chrisp.de/en/rsrc/openvpn.html), then that pretty much takes
care of any OS compatibility issues.

It's a simple matter of turning all hardware-based encryption off,
restricting the client list, and not broadcasting.

I don't have a WRT54GL, but may consider getting one, therefore my
knowledge of using any VPN software with the device is extremely minimal.

If you'd like to discuss details further, you can reach me via email.

-Scott