Do I need more memory?

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Fri Jan 26 07:14:11 MST 2007

On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 10:31:21PM -0700, Mark Phillips wrote:
> My computer has Debian testing and gnome installed. I rarely turn it off, and
> I noticed using system monitor that I have about 75% memory in use and about
> 50% or my swap in use. Should I get more memory? I notice an occasional slow
> down when I have a lot of windows open and I am switching between tasks. I do
> a lot of python (zope & plone) and java (servlets) development, as well as
> openoffice documents and spreadsheets. I have 512 MB of RAM.

Yes, it sounds like you could make use of more memory. If the slowdowns
don't bother you then there's no NEED, but it would certainly help speed
you up to have enough to stop using swap.

--
Darrin Chandler                   |  Phoenix BSD Users Group
dwchandler at stilyagin.com          |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/