Need a reliable audio streamming distribution server

Gene Holmerud geneous at cox.net
Thu Jan 25 23:52:15 MST 2007

Thanks all for your responses.  I've learned a lot, mostly that I need to
learn more.  Three OSS solutions have been mentioned, some specifically
judged from experience.  Joshua does have professional expertise in this
area and is helping.

The issue with the current distribution provider has exploded such that
the show is off the air!  If that service was actually trying to dump a
client, the resemblence to what we actually endured would be striking.

We are looking at other turn-key services, but looking at the
Do-It-Yourself solution. too.  The hurdle will be bandwidth.  My friend
currently has 756kDSL which is plenty for feeding the server the 128kbs
stereo stream and running a couple monitors back from the server.  Doing
the server at the studio location would need T1 level bandwidth almost
immediately and growth after that.  Frame Relay comes to mind.  Doing the
server at my location with Cox.net is out of the question.

As I understand it, the T1 link is only the media and the actual
connection to the Internet is part of what we pay ISPs for on a bandwidth
basis.

Stay tuned,
Gene