Please trim replies WAS Dual Licensing Woes

Joshua Zeidner jjzeidner at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 14:22:14 MST 2007

Hi Dan,

  I spend a lot of time communicating in written form on the web, and
I get a lot of out of it.  I prefer it to TV or magazines.  But the
interface leaves much to be desired.  The primary advantage to
listserv is that I have the ability to format replies and posts any
way I want.  There are a plethora of low cost alternatives to
listserv( such as RSS based blogs or wikis ) that help cut down on
these problems.  Unfortunately, far too many people think they know
how to use a listserv just because they found out what the 'submit'
button does.

  I really hope that the planning committee puts something in place
that can help manage these problems.  I am hoping to see video and
audio communications via the web site.  An effect that I have observed
again and again is how differently written communication behaves as
compared to audio or video.  There is a lot of valence in the spoken
word that is lost in a message like this.  If you are of a
philosophical bent, check out the writings of Marshall McLuhan for
brilliantly written expository on this subject.

  For technical discussions( on anything, finance, sysdev, etc. )
listserv is best.  For anything else, it is fairly useless.

  "The rythms of typing favour short, concise sentences, sentences
with oral form.", "Typewriter is a means of transcribing thought, not
expressing it." - Marshall McLuhan

  -jmz

On 1/23/07, Dan Lund <situationalawareness at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm just waiting for a filter to be invented that detects the pattern
> of such discussions and trashes them ;)
>
> On 1/23/07, Joshua Zeidner <jjzeidner at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >    Aren't these the kind of problems that computers are supposed to solve?
> >
> >    ARE WE NOT PROGRAMMERS?????
> >
> >    I hope the Drupal guys design something to stop these highly
> > redundant discussions.
> >
> >   -jmz
> --
> "Courage is like love; it must have hope to nourish it."
> -Napoleon Bonaparte

.0000. communication.
.0001. development.
.0010. strategy.
.0100. appeal.

JOSHUA M. ZEIDNER
IT Consultant

++power; ++perspective; ++possibilities;
( 602 ) 490 8006
jjzeidner at gmail.com