earthlink hispeed

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Mon Jan 22 09:18:15 MST 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-19 at 16:37 -0800, eculbert wrote:
> Somewhere in the back of my mind, I think I heard that
> earthlink doesn't do auto dhcp from something like a
> live cd such as Knoppix. Am I on track or all wet? and
> it does automatically detect and is 'online' like
> qworst dsl and cox cable?
>
> I have someone possibly talked into trying it.. I
> would have to mail it to them in California.
>
> Just curious..something 'dinging' in the back of this
> head.

----
dhcp is a standards based service and if earthlink connection provides
dhcp (almost assuredly they do), they would provide the standards based
dhcp with which any reasonable dhcp client should be able to function -
be that client Macintosh, Windows or Linux.

Cox and cable modem technology in general tends to lock in the hardware
address of the dhcp client and to switch computers using a dhcp
connection on a cox cable modem, that requires a complete power cycle of
the cable modem. Thus at most inconvenient, it may be necessary to power
cycle the connecting hardware to change systems.

Craig