Dual Licensing Woes

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Sun Jan 21 08:07:53 MST 2007

On Sun, Jan 21, 2007 at 12:16:35AM -0700, der.hans wrote:
> The real issues are laws removing our rights as consumers. Copyrights that
> last for hundreds of years, the DMCA, the legislation Disney and Sony keep
> pushing for (SSSCA?) and DRM are the real threats.

Yes! These erosions are extremely nasty. Their basic argument seems to
be "this new technology has changed everything. We now need to change
all the laws to make sure our rights are preserved." Well, the new
technology has changed very, very little, and they're just looking for
an excuse. But this really isn't about GPL and should be in a different
thread, huh?

> I also think the plethora of licenses is an issue. There are seemingly
> dozens of $myproject Public License which are essentially copies of the
> *BSD license. They should just use the *BSD license and be done with it.
>
> Better yet, they should use the GPL, but that's for a thread between me
> and Darrin ;-).

I completely agree that the proliferation of licenses should stop.
There's just no need for them, except for someone to sneak in a new
clause or something and still say "it's like the BSD license" or "it's
like the Artistic License."

As for BSD vs. GPL licensing, I fully support and encourage anyone to
use the license that best fits their needs and desires. As I wrote
recently on this list, if you can't stand the thought of MS using your
code as part of Windows, then don't use a BSD license, use GPL.

dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |