Jan west side topic

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Fri Jan 19 17:50:51 MST 2007

moin moin,

NOTE: New night! The west side meetings are now the fourth Wednesday of
every month.

The January meeting is this coming Wednesday, the 24th.

The meeting will start at 19:00 at the Arizona Conservatory for Arts and
Academics.

January's west side topic is "alternative uses".

Freedom 0 of the 4 freedoms of Free Software is "The freedom to run the
program, for any purpose"[0].

So, for what purposes other than those intended do we use our Free
Software?

Have you ever used a text editor to manipulate filenodes? Have you used a
graphics program to work on cryptography? Have you created or found a
hidden 'feature' ( easter egg ) in Free Software?

Hidden feature examples are ":help 42" in vi or calling aptitude with the
'moo' option.

This is an audience participation topic, so please bring up your favorite
unintended uses for software and hidden features. Feel free to start
bringing them up on the list now as well :).

Arizona Conservatory for Arts and Academics
2820 West Kelton Lane Phoenix, AZ 85053[1]

The school is located near I-17 and Bell Road.

There will also be a short primer on procmail[2].

procmail is a common mail filter that can be used to sort and manipulate
mail before it ends up in your inbox.

[0] http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html
[1] http://maps.google.com/maps?q=2820+W+Kelton+Lane+Phoenix,+AZ+85053
[2] http://www.procmail.org/

ciao,

der.hans
#  Join the League of Professional System Administrators  https://LOPSA.org/
#  I'm not anti-social, I'm pro-individual. - der.hans