Proxy server

Jon M. Hanson jon at the-hansons-az.net
Thu Jan 18 21:33:23 MST 2007

Trent Shipley wrote:
> On 2007-01-17 23:42, Daniel P. Stasinski wrote:
>
>> On 1/17/07, Trent Shipley <trent_shipley@???> wrote:
>>
>>> What is involved in setting up a proxy server and using it from both Linux
>>>
> and
>
>>> Windows? (I have a dual boot machine.)  Where would I look for
>>>
> documentation?
>
>>> (A "how to" perhaps.)
>>>
>> A cheap router/switch from Fry's or even Walmart will serve you better
>> and have less risks than a proxy server.
>>
>> Daniel
>>

> So ISP will use DHCP to assign different IPv4 addresses to each computer that
> connects via the switch?
>
> I have a LAN set up.  How will the LAN work if each ethernet card is bound to
> a DHCP assigned address and host name?

    If you get a router then it will request a public IP address from
your ISP through DHCP if you're not on static addressing. The router
then acts as a DHCP for your internal network and will give out
addresses in the 192.168 range. The router then will "masquerade" (also
known as NAT, Network Address Translation) your internal network
requests. That just means it keeps track of what each computer on your
network is requesting so when those packets come back they are sent to
the correct computer. The router also acts like a firewall for external
requests. If an inbound packet was not requested by a computer on your
network and there is no specific port-forwarding rule for that packet
then the router will drop it.

--
Jon M. Hanson (N7ZVJ)
Homepage:  http://the-hansons-az.net