Fwd: OT - Connectivity in England

Mike Schwartz mike.l.schwartz at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 12:49:57 MST 2007

(see expl. below, about forwarding)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Arthur Kaletzky <A.Kaletzky at damtp.cam.ac.uk>
Date: 18 Jan 2007 14:45:49 +0000
Subject: Re: OT - Connectivity in England
To: Mike Schwartz <mike.l.schwartz at gmail.com>

On Jan 17 2007, Mike Schwartz wrote:

>On 1/16/07, Bryan O'Neal <BONeal at cornerstonehome.com> wrote:
>> [...]
>
><< "
>My boss is traipsing off to England and wants to have an air card while he
>is their.  I can not come up with any cost effective solution, any of you
>more worldly types know solution?  Also, I am suggesting a disposable cell
>phone for local voice connectivity, any one know if they are still
>legal/available in England?
>
>Bryan O'Neal
>Cornerstone Homes & Development, Inc.
>4220 E. McDowell Rd Ste. #108
>Mesa, AZ 85215
>(480) 505-1900
>" >>

Don't know what you mean by an "air card". Is it a PCMCIA wireless
modem/adaptor? If so, I think the standards here are the same as in the US.
Make sure he has 240V/50Hz capable power supply and a plug adaptor, though.
Also, many places (universities in particular) will not connect without
some form of login identification (JANET rules and an overstrict
interpretation of the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act, 2000).
Ironically, there are now some non-login lounges in airports, which you'd
think would be the most restricted areas.

As for cellular mobile phones, the best thing to do is bring a GSM phone
with you and buy a UK SIM card. You may be able to preorder one in advance,
with a known number. See the websites of Orange, Vodafone, Carphone
Warehouse etc.
Arthur Kaletzky ak283 at cam.ac.uk  personal: kaletzkya at acm.org
Dept. of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics,
CMS, Wilberforce Rd, Cambridge CB3 0WA, England
    - - - end of forwarded message - - -

Explanation about forwarding:
I am forwarding this reply [above] from a chap in Cambridge, UK.
(Question:  [just curious]:  if he had done a "Reply-All", including the
    "PLUG-discuss mailing list" <plug-discuss at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>,
 then could his reply message have been "posted" / e-mailed to
 subscribers, even though [/if] he is not a registered
 member of / subscriber to, the list?)
--
Mike Schwartz
Glendale  AZ