How to safely copy home dir one cpu to another?

Josef Lowder joe at actionline.com
Mon Jan 15 15:51:32 MST 2007

.
What is the recommended procedure and correct syntax
to copy one's home directory from one computer to another?

I make regular DVD backups of my home directory on my main
Linux box and would like to copy the complete home directory
onto my laptop on which I have installed the same distro.
Of course, the laptop has some attributes that are different,
such as the processor, cd/dvd drives, video card, etc.

Are there any risks or potential problems to avoid in using a
command syntax like the example below to copy my complete home
directory (3.2 gig) from the desktop box DVD backup to the laptop?

cp -pruv /mnt/cdrom/joe/* /home/joe