Configuration

Robert N. Eaton Motheaton28 at aol.com
Sun Jan 14 16:01:07 MST 2007

I'm trying to install GNUChess and xboard into my Xandros desktop.  I
downloaded gnuchess-5.05.tar.gz and xboard-4.2.7.tar.gz.  I used tar
-xvvzf on xboard... to untar and gunzip it. So far, so good.

The Install README told me to cd to xboard-4.2.7 and to do ./configure.
And I get:

bob at Pooh-at-Home:~/xboard-4.2.7$ ./configure
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl... no
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
See `config.log' for more details.

So far as I can tell there is no "config.log" file. (There is a _very_
long list of other "config" files.)

$PATH gives me:
bash: /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games: No such file
or directory

Locate gcc gives me:

/usr/include/linux/compiler-gcc2.h
/usr/include/linux/compiler-gcc3.h
/usr/include/linux/compiler-gcc.h
/usr/include/linux/compiler-gcc+.h
/usr/lib/gcc-lib
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/3.3.4
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/3.3.4/cc1
/usr/lib/libstlport_gcc.so.4.6
.... etc,etc.

The above makes me think gcc _is_ installed.  How do I get it included
in the $PATH statement so that ./configure can find it? Or should should
the gcc binaries be in one or more of the /bin directories?

Confused (my normal state regarding Linux.)

Bob Eaton