How to send email from the command line?

Josef Lowder joe at actionline.com
Fri Jan 12 22:48:05 MST 2007

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 18:30:31 -0700, Dan Lund wrote
> On 1/12/07, Josef Lowder <joe at actionline.com> wrote:
> > I'm still trying to figure out how to send plain text
> > email messages from the command line.
> > What would be the simplest way to do this?

> With the mail command.  Such as:
>
> Echo "hello" | mail -s subjectline destination at mail.com
>
> That is, if either sendmail/postfix/or other mta is configured for
> outbound email properly.

Thanks Dan.  Your reply triggered my memory to recall that
this was the response I received before, but I find that
I do not have either 'sendmail' or 'postfix' and I don't
know how to install or configure them.

However, I found my previous notes on this subject and
now recall that some suggested that 'postfix' would be
better (and safer) to use than 'sendmail'

Is that correct?  And if so, how do I acquire and install it?